- TOPIC SUGGESTIONS
- Type or Die, a web site to help you keep writing
- Write or Die, a web site to help you keep writing
- Join Figment
Figment is a community where you can share your writing, connect with other readers, and discover new stories and authors. Browse an extensive library of creative writing from established and emerging writers. Compose and store your writing. Work on it anytime, anywhere on your computer or mobile. Be a part of a vibrant community of writers, readers, and published authors. Get feedback. Share stories.
Throw Your Imagination Open and Dare to Write!
Tons of resources and support to help you discover your own voice and explore your wild mind as you write your own novel during November at the NaNoWriMo site
Tips for Young Writers from Ralph Fletcher: Ideas for what to write about, pre-writing strategies, revision and publishing.
- Alliance for Your Artists & Writers
- Push Novel Contest You submission must contain at least three and no more than five chapters from an original novel (excerpt minimum 15 pages, maximum 50 pages), as well as an outline/summary of the rest of the book, not to exceed two pages in length. The award is given in conjunction with the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, and all rules and regulations can be found on www.artandwriting.org.
Places to Publish Your Writing!
- Stone Soup, a magazine completely of the creative work of children from all over the world, ages 8-13. Its one of the very best literary journals out there for young people and it happens to be published in my home town of Santa Cruz, California!
- Merlyn’s Pen, established 1985 for young people in grades 6-12.
- Skipping Stone, an international multicultural magazine and accepts art and original writings in every language and from all ages.
- The Acorn
- Teen Ink, a national magazine, book, and web site featuring teen writing, information, art, photos, poetry, teen issues, and more.
- Potato Hill Poetry, a magazine featuring both student and teacher writing that comes out every other month except July and August
- New Moon: The Magazine for Girls and Their Dreams
Edited by a Girls Editorial Board (sixteen girls ages 8 to 14), this is a magazine by girls and for girls.
- Young Writer, an international platform for writing by young people up to the age of 18.
- Midlink, publishing creative student work from around the globe.
- Winning Writers poetry competitions and more.
- More links to other magazines for publishing your work.
- Young Author’s Workshop, with links to online magazines that accept stories, poems, or articles by young writers. In most cases, your writing will be sent as an e-mail attachment.
ON LINE PUBLISHERS
- Diary Project, a way for young people around the world to share their personal thoughts, feelings, and dreams with one another near and far .. to ask questions and find answers about growing up at the turn of the 21st century via the Internet.
- Kid News, free news and writing service for students and teachers around the world. Anyone may submit stories.
- Kid Pub, books, stories, writing contests and publishing for students. More than 10,000 stories written by kids from all over the planet!
- Kids Space, Global collaboration of kids work by kids and for kids.
- Resources for Teen Writers
- Teen Ink A teen literary magazine with poetry, fiction, non-fiction, celebrity interviews, and art work.
- Writing.Com an online writing community that offers a place to share your writing with other students and writers online, in addition to writing contests and activities, the site offers a place to store your writing
SUMMER WRITING WORKSHOPS FOR TEENS
Do you love to write, want to be a writer and enter the community of writers? Explore ideas about how to craft what you want to say. Dream and plan ahead to expand your horizons and potential. Attend one of these workshops with other young people like yourself when you enter high school:
- Kenyon Review Young Writers Workshop, Gambier, Ohio.
- Penn State Young Writers’ Workshop, Pensylvania State University, State College Pensylvania.
- California Writing Project This one includes conferences and camps for middle schoolers as well.
- Swanee Young Writer’s Conference in Sewanee, Tennessee
- Iowa Young Writer’s Studio Iowa City, Iowa
Guide to Grammar, Spelling and Style
Sites to Help You Practice Grammar, Spelling, Usage and Vocabulary
- Grammar Gorillas
- grammar game site #1
- Grammar game site #2
- grammar game site #3
- funbrain grammar game site #4
- Eduplace proofread
- Scholastic grammar adventure
- Punctuation Tree: a quick guide to grammar and punctuation