In a debate, you do not necessarily have to believe the side for which you will be arguing. The goal is to be more persuasive than your opponents. Provide enough supporting evidence for your case, and speak with confidence and coherence. The objective is to explore and understand the topic and the different sides of the issue.
Guide to speaking and listening: This is an introductory guide to the basic rules and techniques needed for effective speaking and listening, based on materials used in the Middle School Public Debate Program.
Various Debate Strategies
- Three Card & Count Down debate discussion strategy
- Tag team debate
- Role play debate strategy and the detailed plan for role play debate
- Fishbowl debate
- Inner circle, outer circle
- Think, pair share debate strategy to get ready to debate
- Graphic organizer strategy
- Four corners
- Debate Ballot/Rubric 2015
- Alternate Debate Rubric
- Debate rubric for audience
- Peer feedback
HOW TO PREPARE–steps to keep in mind
1. Opinions vs. Reasons, what makes strong reasoning vs. weak?
A. Developing Reasoning
- Fallacies of Logic review
- Fallacies of Logic definitions
- Definitions of Debate and Argument
- Argumentation Ppt
- When to Disagree
- Cross Examination Ideas
- Sentence Frames for Argumentation
B. Topic suggestions: Values Debate topics:
VALUES DEBATE/ Lincoln Douglas Debate: a debate about justice, issues of value, ethics and morality
- Here is a video explaining and demonstrating this kind of debate
- a brief video overview of the Lincoln Douglas debate
- a second values debate
Partner topics for mini-values debate#1
- Do we control technology or does technology control us?
- Is it your duty to give to charity?
- Should you ever tell a lie?
- Should you be rewarded for your efforts in school?
- Should you let little things bother you?
- Violence: Are there times when you should be violent?
- Will having fun make you happier than studying?
THE LINCOLN DOUGLAS DEBATE:
- LD debate format: structure for the debate and the timings
- LD Debate for groups: group structure for the debate and the timings
- LD Preparation sheet for groups
- Outline form to help you build your argument for LD Debate
- Values and Criterion
- Debate Roles Chart
- Cross examination guide.
- How to do Rebuttal
- Rebuttal practice
- Sentence Frames for Argumentation
- LINCOLN DOUGLAS DEBATE overview and tips for citations
- Flow Chart for Debate Round and video for how to flow
Resources for LD Debate
- LD vocab & abbreviations
- Important Terms in LD Debate
- Lincoln Douglas Debate principles
- An example LD Debate on video
- Timings for regular LD Debate
- Great Debate LD Student Packet
- LD Debate
- Types of Values-2.doc
- Tips for how to conduct the debate and win
Example policy debate #:1 US should concentrate on building new nuclear power plants #2, gun control, #3, the US should abolish the death penalty
How to argue in debate: video describing arguing your case
Topic suggestions, Policy Debate topics
- Middle school debate topics
- Public Forum Debate Topic Suggestions
- Policy Debate Topic Suggestions
- Creating a resolution topic
- Debate Topics from IDebate
- Debate Topics from Debate.org
- Debate about globalization
- Policy debate proposal: homework should be banned
- Basic Structure
- Debate Ballot
- Note sheet document to prepare for debate
- Debate Outline Preparation Document
- Debate Timing and Structure for Debate with Cross Examination
- Timings & Format Structure without cross examination
- CX Debate Outline
- Flow Chart for Debate Round
- Debate roles and timings brief overview
- Four Step Rebuttal Structure
- MAKING EFFECTIVE ARGUMENTS
- Exploring Reasons
- Author’s Purpose Practice
- Practice arguing against a position
- Preparing a Rebuttal
- Argumentation Structures: sentence frames to help you explain your thoughts
Watch one of the Online Debate Videos from Debate Central.
10. Mock Trial
- Example #1 video of a mock trial based on a fairy tale.
- Example #2 video of a mock trial
- Rules and procedure of mock trial
- Example of a mock trial script
- Mock trial involving White Star lines and the sinking of the Titanic
- Guideline for a mock trial.
- UK how to do a mock trial
- Make your case Scholastic mock trial